Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Winter wonders

December was a great month. It was filled with parties, family, meaning, good health, and contentment. My birthday was in the middle of the month as well. Can I admit that I like to get presents I want for my birthday and Christmas? Is that greedy and self-indulgent?  Maybe a little, but I don't claim to be a selfless saint.  If I'm going to be getting presents, then let's make sure the ones I've been pining for all year make the cut!  I not only enjoy shopping, but I have a little insight on what are the best presents for myself.  Surprises are fine, if you know me well enough.  Thoughtful gifts have their place, but it's usually in a Nicholas Sparks or Anita Stansfield book and therefore might be a little gag-inducing. Don't over-think it. Just give me some cold, hard cash or a gift card- I'm happy!  Hedonist?  Perhaps. 


I am simple, though.  I did tell Russell a few months before my birthday that "a purse filled with candy" would always be a good gift.  See?  I'm not about cartier watches or prada jumpsuits or diamond rings.  I have a budget.  And he did get that as a surprise, which I was happy about!  Along with that, was his win at his work party.  He won an iPad, which he gave to me!  How awesome is that?  I've never pictured myself with an iPad, because of its trendy nature and novelty.  However, it is pretty fun to have.  I like to pretend that it won't be a huge time-waster because I can email on it, and I can read the Bible on there, just haven't yet, and I can brush up my French with it- and I also can use it as a book reader.  I don't think I've done much with it but play with it yet though.  I feel like such a modern woman.  It makes me forget that my shoulder is always covered with food from cute faces and that my auto-van needs a huge deep-cleaning to remove honey-mustard drips and chewed-up and spit-out apple peel pieces (Sam!) from its insides (who wants to clean the car in the cold of winter??). So with all of those capabilities, it's really wonderful!  


Some misc. pics from the month:


Dance concert
Sam was the happiest boy Christmas morning with his garbage trucks

 
Great snow makes for a perfect December.  The girls made this patriotic snowman with their Dad.

New Year's Goals:
  • enjoy even more guilty pleasures- live each day to the fullest, right!
  • read more brainy books
  • use less close to cuss cuss words or make up more creative ones
  • write that bestseller that is going to make me some big bucks
  • eat more veggies
  • eat more cadbury mini-eggs
  • find something to fill the LOST hole that's inside of me
I'll let you know how that goes by the end of this year.  Happy 2011!  



10 comments:

Michelle said...

Good goals. I wouldn't mind a purse filled with candy, but my birthday isn't for seven more months. An ipad would be awesome as well, but we didn't win at our work party. Bummer, but congrats to you.

stephanie said...

I would love an ipad. You are a lucky girl.
Some great goals! Especially the one about eating more cadbury eggs. Obviously you understand what is important in life.

Sherie Christensen said...

I like that you were going to eat more vegetables AND cadbury eggs. I'd be good at that second goal but maybe not the first. I think you could totally whip out a best seller this year. Just pretend your Mom assigned you a paper of 10,000 words or so and get creative!

Angie said...

Thanks for always keeping me laughing with your posts! Oh, and thanks again for letting Kade play today. He went to bed early all tired out from so much fun . . . or maybe it was from walking in those high heels!

Melissa Rees said...

Lucky you!! Ipads are cool, not that I would know... I really need to stop using almost cuss words too, dangit :)

Megz said...

How come you didn't ask for help coming up with your goals? I was really great at coming up with my kids resolutions this year....
My new hot pink purse Hubby gave me was full of Kara truffles. I made sure when I returned the purse that all the candy came right out.
I wanna play trucks with Sam.

Karen said...

Wow! Sounds like Christmas was great at your house. Especially for you with your birthday fitting right in and extra gifts - yes! Your kids are growing up to fast. Enjoy your ipad and treats - Happy Birthday a little late!!!

LC said...

Glad there's a girl in the family that likes gifts and shopping as much as me.

And, I can relate to the the car. I just can't get myself to go out to the cold garage and pick off the dum dums stuck to the carseats. Let's save it for Spring Cleaning.

TisforTonya said...

sounds like you've been partying non-stop girl!

and I've officially joined you in the "eat more vegetables" goal... I ate more for dinner tonight than in the past month combined (which speaks VERY poorly of my past month's veggie consumption!)

Maria said...

Woo hoo! An iPad, that's awesome! I'm jealous. Glad you had a good birthday and holiday. I hope your parents are doing well. Do you plan on going to see them?